Monday, May 21, 2012

A humbling experience that I will never forget

 I have been debating in my mind since Saturday if I should post this or not, but my blog is the only journal I keep and I want to remember the emotions I felt... 

Trevor's cousin Weston and his wife rented our little Enterprise house for about 1 year.  After they moved out we were worried whether or not we would find renters...  Well, a sweet little gal, Gabriela, called wanting to look at the house.  So, we showed her the house and she really liked it.  She paid the deposit, signed the contract, and planned to move in June 1st.  Well, knowing that the house needed some cleaning, and I had a busy week ahead.  I decided on Friday evening to get started, so I could finish cleaning on Saturday.  My wonderful mother in law and sisters in law planned to meet me there to help.  Well, on my way there I get a call from Gabriela.  I still remember our conversation exactly... "Hey Heidi, it's Gabriela how are you?"  "I'm good, how are you?"  VERY LONG PAUSE , and in a tear shaken voice she said, "Not very well, my parents house just burned down."  "Oh my goodness, are they OK?"  She then proceeded to tell me they were fine, but that they had no place to go.  She asked if it was OK with me if they could take her contract and move into our house.  I told her that would be fine.  She said, "How soon can they move in?"  Because I had decided to clean up on Friday I told her Saturday afternoon it could be ready.  I immediately felt like I had been inspired to clean the house on Friday.  I had originally planned to make room during the following week to clean it. So, we had to get it done tonight.  Brett mowed the lawn, and we all cleaned up on the inside.  Scrubbed and scrubbed.  We also wanted to do something kind for them.  We filled up the fridge and freezer and covered the counter in groceries.  The Gardner family also gathered up items they could use (shower curtain, hand towels, a few dishes, pillows, blankets, soap, toothpaste, and a few other things).  We were up late, but it was all worth it.  On Saturday, Gabriela called us with the news that they had been offered somewhere with furniture and that they could stay.  So, they decided to do that.  However, when they got there, there was a lot of stuff in the house and they felt like there was not room for them to accrue items they need to get out on their own (things like furniture).  So, they decided they did want their own space.  They called back and asked us if the offer was still there for them to move into our little Enterprise home.   So, Saturday night they moved the few things that they have into our house.  We went over to talk to them about the contract and give them the keys.  It was a humbling time for me!  When we got there they offered to feed us the pizza that they were eating.  I know to them it seemed like no big deal, but I kept thinking- you have nothing and you are offering us your dinner?! We told them not to worry about the rent or the utilities for the month of May that we would take care of it.  They were so upbeat and so so so thankful.  When I told Martha (the mom) that she seemed so upbeat she said "You have to be"  She said she was pretty devastated when they looked at the rubble that was left, but you can't dwell on it, cause it won't change anything.  They were so grateful for what we were doing for them.  It is a time in my life that I will remember.  I will remember how grateful they were.  I will always remember the pain I felt on their behave, the tears that I shed on their behave.  And I will probably always remember the words that Gabriela told me on the phone earlier that day... "There are no words to express how grateful we are.  Heidi you have no idea how much it means to us that you would give so much so willingly when you don't even know us that well."  I will never forget the feeling of pure joy and love I felt toward them when she told me that.  I don't know them that well, but because of what we were able to do for them I have a true sincere love for them.  What an amazing experience that will stay with me forever!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job! What a great experience. Love you tons,

Jordan and fam

Emilee said...

I cried reading this! You are so sweet! You will be blessed!

Lynette Barlow said...

I cried reading this, too! I'm so proud of you and so glad you could have this experience of truly serving others. I KNOW you'll be blessed over and over for it!

Love you!!

hunt-family said...

This needs a like button! It's amazing the things you can do and the people you can help when you follow the promptings you get. A very good lesson for me:) I'm glad you shared!